Following these tips will help you reduce your wait time at the security checkpoint.
Before The Airport
- Do not pack or bring Prohibited Items to the airport. Read the Permitted and Prohibited Items list.
- Pack travel-size containers less than 3 ounces comfortably in one, quart-size plastic, zip-top bag. Learn more.
- Place valuables such as jewelry, cash and laptop computers in carry-on baggage only. Tape your business card to the bottom of your laptop.
- Avoid wearing clothing, jewelry and accessories that contain metal. Metal items may set off the alarm on the metal detector.
- All types of footwear are required to be removed and placed through the X-ray machine for screening.
- Put all undeveloped film and cameras with film in your carry-on baggage. Checked baggage screening equipment will damage undeveloped film.
- Declare firearms & ammunition to your airline and place them in your checked baggage.
- If you wish to lock your baggage, use a TSA-recognized lock .
- Do not bring lighters or prohibited matches to the airport.
- Do not pack wrapped gifts and do not bring wrapped gifts to the checkpoint. Wrap on arrival or ship your gifts prior to your departure. TSA may have to unwrap packages for security reasons.
At The Airport
We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint. The absence of proper identification will result in additional screening.
- Place the following items IN your carry-on baggage or in a plastic bag prior to entering the screening checkpoint:
- Mobile phones
- Loose change
- Money clips
- PDA’s (personal data assistants)
- Large amounts of jewelry
- Metal hair decorations
- Large belt buckles
- Take your laptop and video cameras with cassettes OUT of their cases and place them in a bin provided at the checkpoint.
- Take OFF all outer coats, suit coats, jackets and blazers.